The IYSFF is a global competition that challenges young filmmakers from across the United States of America, Australia, The United Arab Emirates, and New Zealand to create a three-minute silent film set to one of 10 musical scores composed especially for the festival.
To enter Kiwi filmmakers must submit their entries via the IYSFF global website (www.makesilentfilm.com) before submissions close at 11.59pm on 01 September 2024.
The selected finalist entries will be screened at the IYSFF NZ National Awards at Baycourt in October or November (date to be confirmed). Not only are there 10 category awards up for grabs, the Top Two Kiwi films will also represent Aotearoa at the IYSFF Global Awards 2023 held in Portland, Oregon, US.
The IYSFF NZ Nationals 2023 is proudly presented by Baycourt Community & Arts Centre.
- To be eligible, all filmmakers must be 22 years or under as of April 15, 2023
- Use any one of the official IYSFF provided music tracks – just don’t modify it
- Make it suitable for all ages
- No copyrighted material
For each submission, a filmmaker must choose one of the 10 pre recorded musical themes upon which to base the film. The 2023 themes are: Charmed, Shadows, Slapstick, Epic, Science Fiction, Western, Noir, Discovery, Reflections, and this year's new soundtrack Fantasy
Please note: entries which have used the now retired soundtrack Motown will still be accepted in 2023.
- Films may be submitted in black and white, or color
- Films may be live action or animation
- Films must use at least three title cards-an intro card (with the film title, filmmaker(s) name(s), and age), at least one in the middle, and one at the end of the film
- Film running time should equal the soundtrack run time, approximately 3 minutes
- Films must be family-friendly/appropriate for viewers of all ages
- Once entered films must not be screened publicly until the NZ Nationals award show winners are announced